Wednesday, July 18, 2007

MuchMoreRetro - An In-Depth Analysis

So, I've just had a look at the PVR and I've got a juicy episode of MuchMoreRetro just waiting to be critiqued. As I've said before, there's a lot of crap....but a number of gems. What will this epsiode hold??? Let us find out...

1. "My Friends" - Red Hot Chili Peppers. Crap - like Bon Jovi and Metallica, the Chilis should have packed it up long ago, rather than churning out a bunch of songs that all sound the same. Boo-urns.

2. "Wind Him Up" - Saga. Awesome. Canadian rock from the 80s. Yes, it is prog rock...but it is still kinda awesome. This kind of video is why everyone should watch the show. There are Trans-Ams and the video seems to have been shot in the States, rather than Canada. Both tell-tale signs they've "made it".

3. "The Distance" - Cake. Ughh....bit of a novelty in the day, but it doesn't hold up. The only redeeming quality is that the guitar riff during the verses kinda sounds like the music from Bionic Commando.

4. "What Does It Take" - Honeymoon Suite. WOW!! It's the ballad, but anything by Honeymoon Suite rules. Lead guitarist, Derry Grehan, might be the coolest guy around. I'm pretty sure he invented the move where guitarists would mug for the camera during their riffs. If he didn't invent it, he absolutely perfected it. It also seems to be mainly a Canadian thing. This may take more analysis later on.

5. "Switchin' To Glide" - The Kings. I've never even heard of this band....they look British. The singer looks a lot like Jay Semko from the Northern Pikes.

6. "Love Stinks" - J. Geils Band. Not a fan of the band, but the video is kinda cool. There's a scene where a guy is in bed with a fish, and another scene of someone cutting a tomato. It's either nonsense, or way to deep for me. I'm guessing the former.

7. "Don't Cry" - GNR. Another classic. No need to describe, as everyone knows this one. Has anyone seen Stephanie Seymour lately? I wonder how she's aged? This is a very good episode, so far.

8. "Criminal" - Fiona Apple. Eat something.

9. "Centerfield" - John Fogerty. Another good one....I'm fairly certain I remember this song being featured prominently in the 1985 MLB All-Star game.

10. "Heat Is On" - Glenn Frey. Until writing this, I had no idea Glenn Frey spelled his name with two Ns. From the Beverly Hills Cop soundtrack, which was one of the first five albums I owned. I remember often fastforwarding the Pointer Sisters to get to this song, as well as Axel F.

11. "Everlong" - Foo Fighters. I like this song....mainly because it reminds me of setting up my stereo during Frosh Week of 3rd year. There's a 99% chance I went to Stages that night.

12" "Like A Surgeon" - Weird Al. Ah, whatever....MuchMore Retro plays way too much Weird Al. Strangely, I've seen this video, "Eat it" and "Fat" multiple times on MMR, but I don't think I've ever seen "Like A Virgin", "Beat It" or "Fat". Thankfully, the PVR stopped recording this one before it was done....

Well, that is it. I'd say that top to bottom, this was a very good episode. There was a couple great videos, but nothing that was so so so horrible. I'll give the whole thing an 8/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add to Technorati Favorites